Our Space Inc. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to having a diverse workforce. Members of minority groups and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Position: Certified Peer Specialist
Part-Time and Full-time, Flexible including evenings and weekends
Locations: Supportive Apartments, Peer Run Respite (2019), Peer Support Services
Job Summary: Peer Specialist (PS) is a person who has lived experience of a mental illness and or substance use disorder who has made the journey from illness to wellness. PS help others with their journey by drawing from their own journey of recovery to inspire hope, wellness, and provide support to others who are facing similar situations. PS can provide resources for individuals who are in need of extra support.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide peer support by drawing on common experiences
- Validate clients' experiences to provide guidance and encouragement to empower the client to take responsibility and actively participate in their own recovery.
- Serve as a mentor to empower, encourage and promote hope
- Depending on program detailed duties will be outlined
- Provide active listening and positive communication skills
- Use Problem-solving skills, including conflict resolution, anger management and de-escalation techniques as necessary
- Facilitate one-on-ones and or groups to engage individuals in conversation and social interaction.
- Cultivate individuals ability to make informed, independent choices
- Plan activities with the individuals to improve self-concept through empowerment.
- Help individuals explore new ideas and activities that may be beneficial to their recovery and maintaining stabilization.
- Appropriately distribute resourceful information beneficial to individuals
- Become a contributing team member with your Peer Support team
- Attend mandatory staff meetings and training
- Maintain privacy concerning verbal and written information obtained from clients and staff.
- Understand and utilize the established supervisory hierarchy to communicate needs, questions and concerns.
- Understand boundaries and ethics
- Other duties as assigned
- High School degree and or GED, preferred Bachelors degree
- Personal experience with mental health / AODA, Personal experience with recovery/knowledge of recovery principles
- Graduate of State approved Peer Specialist Training Curriculum, State of Wisconsin Peer Specialist Certification required.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to exercise good judgment
- Have compassion
- Ability to complete recordkeeping in a timely fashion.
- Ability to get along with diverse personalities and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to work well with people of all races, backgrounds, and needs
- Ability to use active listening and positive communication skills