Peer support services are delivered by individuals who have common life experiences with the people they are serving. People with mental and/or substance abuse disorders have a unique capacity to help each other based on a shared affiliation, and a deep understanding of this experience. In self-help and mutual support, people offer encouragement, strength and hope to their peers, which allows for personal growth, wellness-promotion, and recovery.
Peers also provide assistance that promotes a sense of belonging within the community. The ability to contribute to and enjoy one’s community is key to recovery and well-being. Another critical component that peers provide is the development of self-efficacy through role modeling and assisting peers with ongoing recovery through mastery of experiences and finding meaning, purpose, and social connections in their lives.
Improve skills and abilities in the following areas:
- Manage symptoms and/or triggers
- Decrease alcohol/substance use
- Increase self-reliance and achieve functional independence
- Promote feelings of hope and overall wellness
- Foster development of healthy relationships
- Create community connections and natural support
- Improve personal safety and stability
- Improve access to, or engagement in, needed clinical and/or supportive services
- Advocate for personal needs
- Identify personal recovery goals
- Successfully navigate complex systems
- Demonstrate personal accountability
Peer support services provided to these programs:
- Our Space Drop-in Center
- Comprehensive Community Services (CCS)
- Family Dependency Treatment Court
- Wiser Choice
- WCS-Forensics Services: Conditional Release (CR) and Opening Avenues to Re-entry Success (OARS) programs
- Cenpatico/MHS Health Wisconsin
- Supportive Housing: Highland Commons, Empowerment Villages, and Farwell Studio
Provider Referral Process
Please download and fill out our referral form. Email the completed PDF form to Melissa Wisniewski.
If you have any questions regarding peer support services please call Melissa at 414-383-8921 Ext. 2.